Lemon-Roasted Chicken

March 3, 2008

080303lemonroastedchicken.jpg

This is the most delicious new recipe I’ve made in a while — you will be sold on it just minutes after it goes into the oven, when your house is filled with the aroma of garlic, lemon, and oregano. Plus, it’s so easy! I buy peeled garlic, which makes prep of this dish super fast.

I served this with rainbow orzo (plain, a concession to the boys) and roasted broccoli (since I had the oven on already). A. doesn’t like when there is “brown stuff” on his broccoli, so I only roasted it a tiny bit. Unfortunately, he informed me tonight that he no longer likes broccoli “at all!” anymore. G. enjoyed a drumstick — I wrap the end in a napkin, which makes it easier for him to grip, and he goes to town gnawing on the thing. Clearly he ate no broccoli either. More for me!

Lemon-Roasted Chicken
Adapted from Everyday Food

1 broiler chicken, cut into 10 pieces (halve the breasts yourself)
20 garlic cloves, smashed (use more if you want!)
3 lemons, washed and quartered
2 tsp. dried oregano
ground pepper to taste
1 Tbsp. olive oil

Preheat oven to 450° degrees.

On a large baking sheet, arrange chicken (skin side up), garlic, and lemons. Sprinkle with oregano and ground pepper. Then drizzle olive oil over everything and rub gently into the chicken.

Roast until golden and cooked through about 30 minutes. I turn my oven to “broil” for the last few minutes to increase the browning of the chicken.

Once chicken is done, allow to cool for a few minutes and then squeeze half of the lemon quarters over the chicken (lots of liquid will be released now that they are cooked). Spoon the sauce from the pan over the chicken before serving.

Filed under: Poultry

Tags: , , ,

• 1. Jodi  |  March 3, 2008 at 10:47 pm

Cute that A doesn’t like any brown stuff on his broccoli…one of my kids wants all foods without any “flavour” which means no specks of spices at all. Kind of hard to remove the tiny green bits from the sauce on his pizza!

• 2. Aunt Barbara  |  March 4, 2008 at 4:54 am

Sounds very good. This will be my next chicken dish.

• 3. Amanda  |  March 4, 2008 at 9:32 am

This looks great! Your picture is beautiful! I’m going to try to make this this weekend.

I linked you on my site!

• 4. Deborah  |  March 4, 2008 at 4:28 pm

Some of my favorite flavors all rolled into one!!

• 5. merrie  |  March 4, 2008 at 7:53 pm

I roasted chicken tonight and it went over well. I want to try this version next.

• 6. Lauren  |  March 4, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Yummy. I’ll have to try this recipe –probably Friday night. :)

• 7. Beth  |  March 4, 2008 at 10:26 pm

I roasted chicken last night too. Next time I will try adding the lemon and doing the broil at the end. Thanks for the ideas!

• 8. Paula  |  March 5, 2008 at 9:19 am

This looks delicious! You’re my honorary Greek with this recipe. :)

• 9. Grammy  |  March 5, 2008 at 9:45 pm

The chicken retains the delicious lemony tang as a leftover eaten cold!

• 10. Lauren  |  March 7, 2008 at 8:11 pm

So I tried it tonight. YUMMY! I used skinless boneless chicken and I used a roasting pan. I placed the lemons on top of the chicken while it baked. I was told to add this into our “family recipe book.”

• 11. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  March 9, 2008 at 7:47 pm

[...] Lemon-roasted chicken, rainbow orzo, roasted [...]

• 12. merrie  |  March 11, 2008 at 5:03 pm

I made it but I did something a little different. I added potatoes (fingerling) parsnips , carrots, and onions and squeezed the lemon before cooking to flavor the veggies. It was all in one pan so I thought it would be a good 1 pan meal. It flavored everything nicely. This would be a fantastic Passover meal. This is one I will definitely do again. Easy enough, although I am not really sure how to smash garlic. I ended up putting in the blender and spreading it on the chicken.

• 13. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  March 20, 2008 at 11:50 am

[...] Potatoes would be great with my Lemon-Roasted Chicken for a Passover meal, and you’d never miss the [...]

• 14. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  January 17, 2011 at 7:29 am