Spinach & Cheese Muffins

March 8, 2008

080308savorycheesemuffin.jpg

I had originally planned to try to make these into a kid-friendly version, but decided at the last minute to just make them as I think they’d taste good, and see if I could get the boys to try one for breakfast. (I haven’t offered them yet, so their reaction is still to come.) They’ve been very receptive to muffins recently, so I have a tiny bit of hope…

Last night’s dinner included sauteed spinach, which I just briefly cook in a pan with olive oil and slivered garlic. I had about a cup leftover, which I chopped finely and use in these muffins. Kalyn, the creator of the original recipe, uses mushrooms instead — broccoli would taste great, too. It’s from Kalyn’s site that I first heard of Spike seasoning (somewhat of a signature ingredient in her dishes). Normally I’m a Mrs. Dash kind of a chick, but I decided to try out Spike — the salt-free version — for a change. It’s definitely more flavorful than Mrs. Dash, and also more finely ground. So while I may continue to use Mrs. Dash on top of chicken, I think Spike integrates more easily into a recipe.

The almonds, eggs, and cheese make this a hearty grab-and-go breakfast muffin, but I think they’d also go nicely with a light soup to make a more filling dinner.

Spinach & Cheese Muffins
Adapted from Cottage Cheese & Egg Breakfast Muffins

Makes one dozen muffins

1 c. cooked veggies (spinach, mushrooms, or broccoli), chopped
1/2 c. small curd cottage cheese
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1 4-oz. package crumbled feta
1/4 c. white whole wheat flour
1 c. unsalted almonds, ground to slightly more chunky than flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. Spike seasoning (I use the salt-free version)
4 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp. water

Preheat over to 400° F.

If you don’t have leftover veggies to use up, prepare those first and allow them to cool.

Combine all ingredients and mix until well-blended. Spoon into a well-greased muffin tin (the batter can nearly fill each cup). Bake for 25 minutes, until lightly browned. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Filed under: Bread & Muffins,Veggie Sides

Tags: , , , , , ,

• 1. Amy  |  March 8, 2008 at 9:27 pm

These look like a great recipe for my personal chef clients. thanks for posting.

• 2. Kevin  |  March 9, 2008 at 7:42 am

These muffins sound tasty and healthy!

• 3. Deborah  |  March 9, 2008 at 11:04 am

I usually only see sweet muffins – it would be a nice change to have a savory muffin like this!

• 4. Jodi  |  March 9, 2008 at 12:18 pm

Yeah, how did they taste? I haven’t had a muffin with this sort of stuff in it before either.

I think you have to think of them more like a biscuit (or a roll). They’re much more dense than a typical muffin, and a little crunchy due to the almonds. I thought the egg flavor would be more pronounced, like an omelet, but it’s very subtle. — Dara

• 5. Sharon  |  March 9, 2008 at 1:44 pm

These look so good! I definitely would like to try them – they’d be a good addition to a brunch menu.

• 6. CK  |  March 12, 2008 at 6:57 am

Is that the correct amount of flour? Doesn’t seem like a 1/4 cup of flour will make a dozen biscuits even with a cup of ground almonds.

It is the correct amount of flour, CK. It’s not a traditional muffin — the original recipe came from a South Beach site which minimizes the use of flour. All the eggs, cheese, and almonds help bind it together. — Dara

• 7. Aunt Barbara  |  March 12, 2008 at 7:11 pm

This looks like a “try me” recipe.

• 8. diva  |  May 19, 2008 at 1:31 pm

so glad i’ve found your site and this recipe. will be needing this pretty soon :) thanks!