Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

March 16, 2008

080316bananabread.jpg

My aunt gave me this recipe at my bridal shower, and I always enjoy seeing her handwriting on the recipe card when I make this bread. She is a fantastic cook and I aspire to have the cooking repertoire that she does!

Today I baked the banana bread in a coffee can — we’d just finished a can of Medaglia D’Oro Caffé Espresso (yum!) so the opportunity was there. My mom used to bake zucchini bread in coffee cans every summer when our garden with overflowing with squash. Unfortunately, I overfilled the can and lost quite a bit of the batter as it rose up and over the rim. So I’m not recommending you try that with this recipe! Or, try it and only fill the can about 2/3 of the way full — you’ll need to bake it about an hour and a quarter. Then throw the rest of the batter into muffin tins.

For this dessert bread your bananas should be so ripe that you’re practically ready to throw them out. If they’re about to go bad and you’re not ready to bake just yet, peel the bananas, seal them in a Ziploc bag, and freeze them until you need them. They defrost quickly and although they’re brown and slimy looking when they thaw, they work perfectly for this bread and taste great.

This recipe works best when you use mini chocolate chips — regular-sized chips seem to clump up and fall to the bottom of the pan. (I did not take my own advice in the photo above.) My aunt also recommends adding sliced strawberries to the batter if you have them — I’ve added up to half a cup of them and they’re a nice change.

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Adapted from my Aunt Barbara’s recipe

3 very ripe bananas
1/4 c. white sugar
1 egg
1½ c. white whole wheat flour
1/4 c. melted butter, cooled
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375° F.

With a fork, mash bananas and sugar in a large bowl until they are smooth. Add remaining ingredients and mix until combined.

Pour batter into either lined muffin tins or a load pan coated with non-stick spray. Bake until golden brown on top and a toothpick in the center comes out clean — about 20-30 minutes for muffins or 45 minutes to an hour for a loaf.

Filed under: Bread & Muffins,Dessert

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

• 1. Sarah  |  March 16, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Yummy! Great idea about the coffee can! Sometimes if you toss the chips (or whatever you are using in a batter) in flour it prevents their clumping together and/or sinking to the bottom…but it does not always work. I’ve had success with things like raisins or cranberries.

• 2. Chris  |  March 17, 2008 at 9:44 am

Great recipe. Can we use regular bread pan? Where can we get tins like in the picture above. Thanks to you and your Aunt for sharing this yummy recipe.

Hi Chris, the can in the photo is just a regular coffee can with the label removed. You can bake the banana bread in muffin tins, a loaf pan, or even casserole dish — it’s very forgiving. If you do use a coffee can, keep in mind that this recipe makes too much batter for a single can. Either use two cans or fill up some muffin tins with the extra batter. — Dara

• 3. merrie  |  March 17, 2008 at 2:28 pm

This looks sooooooooo delicious. I got no recipes at my bridal shower:(

• 4. Jodi  |  March 17, 2008 at 4:09 pm

The lines from the coffee can kind of look like they’d work as a guide for where to cut the slices:O)

• 5. brilynn  |  March 17, 2008 at 5:17 pm

I’ve been on a huge banana kick lately, this sounds great!

• 6. Lauren  |  March 19, 2008 at 4:48 am

I made them with regular flour, no egg (since I don’t keep eggs in the house) and 1 additional teaspoon of baking powder. R walked into the house and commented, “This smells wonderful.” When he heard what it was, he said, “Bananas, you had to go and ruin a perfectly good muffin!” I thought they were quite yummy!

• 7. Noreen Stegemann  |  April 18, 2008 at 11:37 am

Awesome recipe! I made a few changes – increased sugar to 1/2 cup, whole wheat flour and used oil instead of butter – but it is absolutely wonderful – I have made it 3 times already!

• 8. Yasmine  |  May 6, 2008 at 3:36 pm

i was searching for a banana bread recipe (which is my favorite) and i came across your page, i have to say the coffee tin is sucha a good idea- im going to try it out, is it easy to take teh bread out of the tin without it sticking or breaking apart just as perfectly as yours did?
    also does it work to bake regular cakes and brownies in the tin?

You just need to make sure the can is well greased, and it will come out easily. I have only baked dense sweet breads in a can — the banana bread and zucchini bread — so I’m not sure how it would turn out with cake or brownies. Brownies might hold up better? Either way, make sure you don’t fill it too full! Let me know if you try it out with a different recipe. — Dara

• 9. Brenda  |  August 28, 2008 at 1:05 pm

My grandma makes a bread similar to this called Hobo Bread and bakes it in a coffee can also. Your’s looks very good and I have printed it out to try it for myself. The recipe for my grandma’s bread is on my site if you want to try it.

• 10. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  September 7, 2008 at 7:52 pm

[…] mozzarella, and a banana chocolate chip mini muffin for dessert (I baked them today using my Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe — I was able to pack four medium-sized bananas in there). I’ll also include […]

• 11. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  April 22, 2010 at 10:28 pm

[…] made two types of muffins: Chocolate Chip Banana, and Apple Flax. They both turned out well, and look cute all wrapped up in the cello bags and […]

• 12. Chocolate Chip Banana Bre&hellip  |  January 12, 2012 at 11:17 pm

[…] 4 years ago, I found this recipe for banana bread. It is one of my favorite treats and I have made it countless times. Chocolate Chip Banana […]

• 13. Chocolate Chip Banana Bre&hellip  |  January 13, 2012 at 1:16 pm

[…] four years ago, I found this recipe for banana bread. It is one of my favorite treats and I have made it countless times. Chocolate Chip Banana […]