Unstuffed Cabbage with Ground Turkey

July 9, 2008

My mom and I really enjoy this recipe — I have made it with beef in the past, but it works just as nicely with the ground turkey. It is an easy way to use up a cabbage, something I get a lot of from our CSA. There’s only so much coleslaw a person can eat.

There’s no good reason you must use the canned soup, something I avoid in most of my recipes. An equivalent amount of a tomato-based sauce you like would work perfectly. Or, choose plain tomato sauce and dress it up with your own herbs and spices. The version I made tonight is the quick and easy way.

I split the recipe into two baking dishes, and froze one uncooked. The other went into my toaster oven, which is a great option in the summer when you don’t want to heat up your kitchen.

Unstuffed Cabbage with Ground Turkey
Adapted from Cabbage Beef Casserole

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 lb. ground turkey (look for all white meat)
6 Tbsp. uncooked brown rice
1 medium cabbage, roughly chopped
1 10.5 oz. can condensed tomato soup (I use Campbell’s Healthy Request)
1 c. tomato sauce
1 c. water
ground pepper to taste

Preheat over to 350° F.

Heat oil in a large skillet, and saute onion and green pepper until they begin to caramelize. Add ground turkey, cooking over medium heat until it is nicely browned (it does not need to be cooked through). Stir in uncooked rice. Set aside.

While the turkey is browning, spread cabbage in an even layer in the bottom of a casserole dish. (A 9×13 would be fine; I do two 8×8 baking tins and freeze one.) Top with the turkey mixture.

Combine tomato soup, sauce, water, and ground pepper in a bowl, and pour evenly over the cabbage and turkey.

Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 1.5 hours.

Filed under: CSA,Poultry

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

• 1. Cabbage rolls without the&hellip  |  July 9, 2008 at 10:02 pm

[...] myself. It was the first and last time because good lord, what a messy job. So that’s why this is totally brilliant. The same idea as cabbage rolls but in casserole format?! YES [...]

• 2. Sherry  |  July 9, 2008 at 10:08 pm

This is totally brilliant. I hated the one time I tried making cabbage rolls even though I love to eat them, so this is the perfect solution.

• 3. Barbara  |  July 9, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Looks great Dara! Thank you for sharing the recipe you used and the results, it’s going on my menu next week!

• 4. Carol  |  July 10, 2008 at 9:14 am

Thanks for this! Sounds like a yummy and fuss-free alternative to my mom’s golumpki.

• 5. Grammy  |  July 10, 2008 at 5:12 pm

Really fresh cabbage is like a vegetable of its own. Yum!

• 6. Menu Plan Monday, 7/14 - &hellip  |  July 13, 2008 at 7:28 pm

[...] Unstuffed Cabbage with Ground Turkey and Tandoori Tofu were my favorite meals this past week, and I will definitely make them [...]

• 7. magpie  |  July 22, 2008 at 3:00 pm

That looks terrific.

• 8. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  December 29, 2010 at 5:50 pm

[...] 5 Posts, Written Anytime 1. Unstuffed Cabbage with Ground Turkey (linked from Tipnut) 2. Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins (linked from Simply Recipes) 3. Slow Cooker [...]