Tandoori Tofu

July 11, 2008

This is my new favorite tofu recipe. My house smelled like a fantastic Indian restaurant while the tofu was cooking in my humble little toaster oven. It tasted great hot, it was wonderful cold, and I will make it again.

I think that next time, though, I will skip the whole skewer step and just bake the tofu cubes on a foil-lined baking dish.

Updated to add: I just read about pressing the tofu under a heavy object for 15 minutes before adding it to a marinade. I think doing so would improve the texture of the tofu in this dish, which remained a little more spongy and less chewy then I would have liked. I’ll try that next time.

Tandoori Tofu
Adapted from Tandoori Tofu Kebobs

1 package (14 oz.) extra-firm tofu, drained
6 oz. plain yogurt (I used non-fat)
1 Tbsp. grated ginger
2 tsp. crushed garlic
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. masala curry powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper (I used 4 grinds)
1 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, minced

Press any extra moisture out of your tofu, and cut it into bite-sized cubes. Set aside.

Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Gently add tofu cubes to the bowl, and use a rubber spatula or similar to carefully fold the tofu into the marinade until it is well-coated. Try not to crumble the tofu! Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.

While the tofu is marinating, cover 6-10 wooden skewers in water and let them soak. You may need to trim the skewers so that they can hang, suspended, from the rim of your baking pan.

Preheat toaster oven to 425° F.

Line your toaster oven’s baking pan with foil. Arrange tofu cubes on your wooden skewers, and place each skewer across the pan.

Bake on the lowest rack of you toaster oven for 30 minutes, or until tofu edges are browned and crispy.

Filed under: Veggie Mains

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

• 1. Grammy  |  July 12, 2008 at 10:02 am

Sounds great to go with all your greens or as a pop in your mouth snack.

• 2. Cristen  |  July 13, 2008 at 7:53 pm

I imagine, kosherness aside, I could do this to chicken?

Yep, it would be delicious! — Dara

• 3. Cristen  |  July 13, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Hooray! Trader Joes makes these vegetable masala burgers that are delicious and remind me of samosas. I’ve been looking for something Indian inspired that I can make at home to pair them with! (More info about the burgers here.)

I am assuming masala curry powder is different from the generic stuff I see on the supermarket shelves?

I had to look this up, as I’m no expert on curry powder. I have a generic yellow curry powder from McCormick, and the ingredients are:

Spices (Including Coriander, Fenugreek, Turmeric, and Red Pepper), And Onion.

The much more delicious curry powder I used for this dish was from my Canadian friend Jodi, and it seems to be a local preparation. It’s Premala’s brand, Red Roasted Masala Curry Powder, which includes:

Paprika, red chili powder, coriander, cumin, fennel, turmeric, fenugreek, herbs & spices.

The red curry powder is much sweeter in both smell and flavor, it’s really just much better-tasting to my palate. The McCormick curry powder is kind of sharp and almost dusty-smelling (it has an expiry date in 2010, so that’s not an age issue).

I think you will be fine with pretty much any curry powder, they are all just a blend of herbs and spices. You’ll have to experiment to find what you like best. I bet Trader Joe’s has some great options.

Hope that helps! — Dara

• 4. Jodi  |  July 15, 2008 at 9:41 am

I am glad you found a use for the curry powder…they said you can just sprinkle it onto popcorn as well…but I don’t think I’d like that?

• 5. Shanayta  |  July 17, 2008 at 9:04 pm

I tried this recipe tonight, it was amazing! Thankyou so much for posting this.

• 6. Pure Sugar » Blog A&hellip  |  July 19, 2008 at 9:57 am

[…] planting a bit of the dill and cilantro and hopefully it will take! On the menu this week: bharta, tandoori tofu, lots of salads, chocolate-beet brownies, maybe eggplant parmesan (Drew is making a sauce as I type […]

• 7. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  July 20, 2008 at 12:26 pm

[…] Unstuffed Cabbage with Ground Turkey and Tandoori Tofu were my favorite meals this past week, and I will definitely make them […]

• 8. Pure Sugar » Blog A&hellip  |  July 24, 2008 at 10:15 am

[…] pointed me to this eggplant bharta recipe that she enjoys and I was excited to try it. I also made Dara’s recipe for Tandoori Tofu. Both were big hits. I especially loved (and I mean loved) the bharta. I have three more eggplants […]

• 9. Mango Power Girl  |  July 26, 2008 at 1:32 am

Nice to see you improvised my tofu kebabs! I always assume everyone knows how to drain the tofu, but that’s a good tip to add.