Maple-Glazed Delicata Squash Rings

September 30, 2008

This was one of the sides I made for Rosh Hashanah dinner Monday night, and it was a big hit — beautiful for a holiday table, and delicious as well. The delicata squash has an edible skin, which makes for easier prep (no peeling) and some nice visual interest (cute stripes!). The maple syrup (I used Grade A Dark Amber, which is very flavorful) caramelizes and creates a candy-like coating on the squash. What could be bad?

I tried flipping a few of the rings half-way through the cooking so that both sides would caramelize, but I couldn’t do it without squashing the rings. Since I wanted to preserve their shape, I left well enough alone and baked the majority of the squash on one side only.

Edited to add: you can see the squash whole in my farm share haul for the week.

Maple-Glazed Delicata Squash Rings

4-6 delicata squash
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. maple syrup
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400° F.

Rinse the delicata squash thoroughly — the skin is edible and you will leave it on. Then slice each squash into 1/2-inch rings, and remove the pulp from each ring with a spoon or paring knife. Place rings in a large mixing bowl.

Drizzle olive oil and maple syrup over squash, and sprinkle on the salt. With clean hands, toss the squash until all the rings are well-coated.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil (the glaze will be super-sticky once cooked — you will not want to scrub it off your pan). Place the squash rings in a single layer on the pan, and bake for about 40 minutes, until squash is tender and the underside of the squash is caramelized. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, but remove from pan while still warm (otherwise they’ll stick to the foil).

Filed under: CSA,Holidays,Veggie Sides

Tags: , , , , , ,

• 1. [eatingclub] vancouver || js  |  September 30, 2008 at 10:07 pm

They almost look like calamari rings. I’ve never seen squash like this: so unique! Thanks for sharing.

• 2. Carol  |  October 1, 2008 at 4:43 am

I didn’t realize the skin was edible! I’ve really started to look forward to the delicatas every week. They are delicious! I’ve been cutting mine in half, stuffing the seed cavity with fennel, drizzing with olive oil and roasting. I am going to try your recipe for a change though :-)

• 3. Jodi  |  October 1, 2008 at 7:05 am

Love it! Also like how you mentioned the grade of the maple syrup;) Totally unrelated, I just read Vegan Yum Yum describing how she takes the food photos…did you read it too? Neat.

• 4. merrie  |  October 1, 2008 at 8:01 am

They look delectable. I am glad they were a hit.

• 5. Cristen  |  October 1, 2008 at 8:02 am

I have always wondered what that type of squash was since I saw CJ cook with it on the Top Chef Christmas special. He made Cardamom pannacotta with the squash as a base.

• 6. lauren  |  October 1, 2008 at 6:54 pm

the only problem with this dish…no leftovers. :)

• 7. Aunt Barbara  |  October 1, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Looks very good–I’ll try it.

• 8. Noble Pig  |  October 1, 2008 at 11:25 pm

OMG these are beautiful. I love sqash but like this…well you’ve hooked me! They are just beautiful…and Happy New Year to you!

• 9. The Jew and the Carrot &r&hellip  |  October 6, 2008 at 10:00 am

[...] I was a guest at my sister-in-law’s house this Rosh Hashanah, and she was happy to let me wait to see what I received from my CSA before I told her which dishes I’d bring. I’m a member of Roxbury Farm’s CSA, which is located near Albany, NY.  I was very lucky to get four delicata squash that week, which I tossed with olive oil, maple syrup, and salt and then roasted until the syrup caramelized. It was like having candy-coated squash! The recipe and a photo are on my blog, Chick in the Kitchen. [...]

• 10. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  October 6, 2008 at 8:06 pm

[...] their holiday greener and more locally-inspired. The three dishes I made for Rosh Hashanah — Maple-Glazed Delicata Squash Rings, Vegetarian Collard Greens, and Honey Cookies — all included locally-sourced ingredients, [...]

• 11. Hugging the Coast  |  October 6, 2008 at 9:30 pm

I’ve actually never tried delicata squash. This sounds so good I’ll be haunting the aisles of various local supermarkets until I find one that stocks these!

• 12. zestycook  |  October 8, 2008 at 9:19 am

WOW – very creative – without me coming here – i would have never thought of thses. Great post… I have added you to my favorites and stumbled it :)

• 13. Savory Tv  |  October 18, 2008 at 3:13 am

Those look deliciously simple! I’ve bookmarked them to make later, thank you.

• 14. Roxbury Farm CSA 2011, We&hellip  |  September 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

[...] which Roxbury distributed early this year, has reminded me of Rosh Hashanah ever since I made Maple-Glazed Delicata Squash Rings for the holiday a few years ago. At this point in the summer I am so eager to get back to the [...]