Thanksgiving 2010: The Plan

November 18, 2010

Everyone is abuzz about Thanksgiving preparations, but I’ve got a big group coming to watch a football game here on Saturday (21 people in total) and no working oven or stove. So I’ve got more pressing entertaining on my mind. Still, I wanted to get my Thanksgiving menu written down so I could at least have that rattling around in my brain while we make coleslaw and smoked brisket this weekend. Anything with an asterisk is being brought by a family member.

Pre-feast:
Apple Sangria
Cheese Platter
Spinach & Artichoke Dip*
Crackers & Crudite

Feast:
Turkey (I ordered a fresh kosher turkey in the 19 – 21 lb. range)
Mushroom and Caramelized-Shallot Strudel
Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows*
Stuffing (maybe Fig and Pine Nut)
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasted Maple-Bourbon Carrots & Parsnips
Cranberry Sauce (we like the sliced stuff from a can)

I’m sure we’ll find room for:
Pecan Pie*
Chocolate Chip Cookies*
Fruit Salad*
Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies

What are you making for Thanksgiving this year?

Filed under: Holidays,Meal Planning

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

• 1. Grammy  |  November 18, 2010 at 6:12 pm

This is a plan! Now we’ve got even more to be thankful for.

• 2. Irina M  |  November 19, 2010 at 7:40 am

Here is my plan, a bit ambitious but nevertheless,
    Appetizers:
    Home-made rustic bread
    Herbed compound butter
    Wild Mushroom tart with Pecorino
    Goat Cheese and slow roasted tomatoes crostini
    Garlic Eggplant dip (from my “it’s Greek to me post”)
    Spicy Asian fried shrimp
    Hot Appetizer is French Onion soup
    For the Main course
    Herbed Turkey
    Mashed Potatoes
    Green beans
    Carrot Ginger salad
    Brusselsprouts with pomegranate
    For desert I am forgoing the traditional this year and making and apple strudel and Chocolate pretzel Tarts with sea salt. I am also thinking of making one more desert, either a mouse tartallets with raspberries or a hazelnut filled profiteroles, but I have not decided

• 3. Weekend Web Walk – &hellip  |  November 19, 2010 at 8:07 pm

[…] Thanksgiving 2010 Plan – Chick in the Kitchen […]

• 4. Aunt Barbara  |  November 20, 2010 at 11:41 am

Is the photo of last year’s turkey? It’s gorgeous! We’re having either 2 or 4 people joining us so I’m making 2 chickens. One will be in the oven w roasted veggies (from which I make a gravy), the other on the grill. Pecan pie, for sure. (Remember when I used to make 1 w/o pecans for your sister?) Haven’t planned the rest. Have a wonderful one!

Yep, that is our 2009 turkey — J. cooked it on our smoker! It was a bit non-traditional for our taste, won’t do it that way this year. — Dara

• 5. Dad  |  November 20, 2010 at 1:01 pm

It’s not fair to publish the menu so early. Now I’m going to be salivating for 6 more days.

• 6. S  |  November 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Your comment about the kosher turkey makes me suspect that you’ll be having pareve desserts.
    Do you have any favorite recipes (or tips/modifications) to share?

Hi S, I am only making 1 dessert this Thanksgiving, and it’s not pareve (that is a longer story for another time). However, my main method of substitution is to use Earth Balance Buttery Sticks in place of butter, for recipes I want to make pareve. It is a very good sub in cookies, and a pretty good sub in other recipes, like Cranberry Streusel Shortbread Bars I made for Thanksgiving one year. I also make Honey Cookies with Earth Balance, and you could use seasonal cookie cutters. Another tip: I’ve also had better luck searching for vegan recipes, rather than pareve. For instance, Vegan Dark Chocolate Cupcakes. Happy Thanksgiving! — Dara

• 7. merrie  |  November 26, 2010 at 5:43 pm

The Mushroom Cups came out fabulous! BTW- next week I am going to make a mushroom pasta by following the recipe omitting sour cream and breadcrumbs and tossing with pasta:)

• 8. chickinthekitchen.com &ra&hellip  |  December 29, 2010 at 5:50 pm

[…] 5 Posts, Written in 2010 1. Rain Water Grill, Hastings on Hudson (lots of hits from Google) 2. Thanksgiving 2010: The Plan (linked on 5dollardinners & foodnewsjournal) 3. An Accidentally Beautiful Breakfast (linked on […]