Roxbury Farm CSA 2013, Week 2 — Kohlrabi

June 19, 2013

csa130619w2

The boys had social engagements this afternoon, so I flew solo on our farm share pick up today. It’s a good thing, because it was much more chaotic than usual, with one woman flitting in and out of the line, filling her bags out of order (all the vegetables are lined up in bins along a low wall… just follow along the bins and you get all your vegetables). She stepped on my toe and I was unduly enraged. Then there was another gaggle of women who seemed to be splitting up a single share several ways, in line, while having leisurely conversation without regard for the people piling up behind them.

The bright spot was behind me — I got to say hi for the first time this season to Allyson, of Garlicky Kale with Toasted Breadcrumbs fame. I do enjoy getting to see friendly faces year after year, and was also excited to see a new member who also has a son at my boys’ elementary school.

This week we received 1 bunch of radishes, 1 arrowhead cabbage (my favorite type of cabbage, it’s so delicate), 2 kohlrabi, 1 head Salanova lettuce, 1 piece summer squash, 1 bunch Red Russian kale, 1 zucchini, 1 bunch broccoli rabe, 1 bowl arugula, 1 bowl salad mix, 1 pint sugar snap peas, 1 bowl tatsoi, 1 bunch scallions, 6 garlic scapes, and 1 small handful each of basil, cilantro, and parsley (not pictured above).

I’ve already sauteed up the tatsoi, zucchini, yellow squash, and some garlic scapes for dinner. I also sliced up most of the radishes, sprinkled them with a little salt, and then dipped them in cream cheese as a snack. I have a memory of my grandpa shaking out a small layer of salt into a dish and then dipping radishes into the salt before eating them. So I guess I am in very good company, enjoying my radishes!

Then there’s the kohlrabi. I don’t remember ever working with it before! It apparently tastes like a mild broccoli stalk, or like a cross between a young turnip and cabbage. I have a feeling I will prefer it raw, so I thought this ‘Carpaccio’ of Kohlrabi with Radishes and Blue Cheese looked nice (but oops… I don’t have many radishes left). J. is always a fan of making pickles, so that’s also an option.

As always, I love to hear what you’re cooking with these or similar ingredients.

Filed under: CSA

Tags: , , , , , ,

• 1. Tara Bongiorno  |  June 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I haven’t gotten any Kohlrabi yet this year but here is my blog post from last year. I loved the stuff!

• 2. Tara Bongiorno  |  June 19, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I made this last year. http://freshfoodformyfamily.wordpress.com/2012/06/29/potato-and-kohlrabi-soup/

• 3. Siobhan  |  June 19, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I am making a quiche with the radish leaves, leftover turnip greens from last week, broccoli rabe, and cheddar. I sauteed the greens first in olive oil, salt and pepper and some minced garlic and mushrooms (leftover in fridge). I’m so glad I found your blog! I pick up in White Plains. I didn’t have any garlic scapes today :( I made pesto last week and used it for everything! If you have instagram, you can follow me @siobhanpjwhite I post pics of all of my recipes. Happy eating!

• 4. Allyson  |  June 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Dara, have you seen the book “Local Flavors” by Deborah Madison? It has wonderful recipes for pretty much every vegetable in our farm shares. Her “Vegetarian Suppers” has some great ideas, too. I’m a devoted carnivore, but I love her cookbooks.

It was great seeing you today!

• 5. Dara  |  June 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm

Hi Siobhan! I saw the picture of your quiche on the Roxbury Farm site, and it looked delicious. Please stop by again or follow me at http://facebook.com/chickinthekitchen so you can share what you’re cooking!

• 6. Dara  |  June 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I am going to look for both of those books at the library. Thanks!

• 7. magpie  |  June 21, 2013 at 9:50 am

another great book is An Everlasting Meal: Cooking with Economy and Grace by tamar adler.

• 8. Dara  |  June 21, 2013 at 3:20 pm

Thanks, Maggie! Will look for that one too.